Eastham's long lost golf course
It might be hard to believe, but at one time, the Nauset Marsh area was home to a world class golf course.
Learn all about this course, which existed from 1928 to 1950, at the Eastham Historical Society’s 1869 Schoolhouse Museum on Wednesday night (June 29) at 7 p.m., when local historian Mark McGrath tells the story of the legendary links in a free illustrated talk.
During the 1920s, wealthy Bostonian Quincy Adams Shaw was recovering from a nervous breakdown. To help in his recovery, Shaw, an outstanding amateur golfer and a founding member of the NGLA, was encouraged to build the course on land that he owned in Eastham.
Cedar Banks Links catered to some of the premier golf pros of that era, including Bobby Jones and Francis Ouimet.
McGrath has presented this talk for many years, including several times with the late Don Sparrow, who grew up next to the course and caddied for both Ouimet and Jones. Sparrow’s father served as course superintendent and his mother was caddy master. A 1981 Eastham Historical Society interview with Sparrow was conducted by McGrath.
McGrath will focus on the history of the course, which the Boston Evening Transcript described as “one of the finest natural layouts in the world.” Also included in the program will be where the holes were located, what happened to the course, and what happened when a group of golfers tried to play the course in 2012.
Visit EasthamHistoricalSociety.org for more information.
#CedarBanksLinks #DonSparrow #MarkMcGrath #QuincyAdamsShaw #FrancisOuimet #BobbyJones #CapeCodgolf